Gall Week September 2023
November 16, 2019
Our 4th global gall-awesomeness event!
This is our 4th global Gall Week event - join us and document galls from wherever you are. Please photograph galls between Saturday, Sept 2nd and Sunday, Sept 10th. In order to contribute to our project, please join the project, and add your observations manually. You can also do it in bulk if you upload it on your desktop computer.
Gall Week events:
- Make observations between 9/2-9/10, and add them manually to our iNaturalist project Gall Week Sptember 2023.
- Join a webinar about galls! On 8/25, from 7:00 pm (Pacific) more info here
- Park for Pollinators BioBlitz - Saturday 9/2, 9:30 am - we will focus on pollinators, but also look for galls. More info here.
- Tree Life Cycles BioBlitz - Saturday 9/9, 9:00 am - a great event to learn more about galls and help us document them. RSVP here.
How to get started?
You can look for specific host plants, specific groups of gall inducers, or anything you find interesting. If you've never done this before, you can check what are the best host plants in your area. You can use gall or insect books from your area, websites (such as Gallformers.org), and iNat. We highly recommend listening to an interview of gall expert Adam Kranz on the podcast Natures Archive, and a shorter episode about Gall Week 2021 and an episode about spring galls here. You can also look at our Gall Week 2021 project, with over 6,500 observations from around the world, and our Gall Week 2022 project, with close to 8K observations! Another good way to start is to look at one of the gall projects and see what other people found in your area:
- Galls of California - https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/galls-of-california and many other local projects
- Galls of North America - https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/galls-of-north-america https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/north-american-galls
- Leaf and plant galls - https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/leaf-and-plant-galls
- Galls of the Eastern United States - https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/galls-of-the-eastern-united-states
You can download fliers for some of the common Bay Area galls on our main page here.
By The Numbers
Organized in Partnership with